4 years in the past, Irina Andreeva moved to Barcelona along with her household. Right now she shares her favourite locations and helpful notes about this magical metropolis – the supply of inspiration for the proficient Antoni Gaudi, the place the solar warms even in winter, the streets are blown by the contemporary sea breeze, and aromatic paella is served in eating places and cafes.
I wish to go to Barcelona!
Through which space to remain
The town is split into 10 important districts, every of which has its personal deserves. Listed here are the three central districts most frequently chosen by vacationers to remain in Barcelona:
- The Eixample district (Higher City) is the biggest district of town, it’s he who is split into blocks within the type of a grid. If buying is your ardour, then select a lodge within the space. All probably the most well-known boutiques are situated right here on Paseo de Gracia. There may be additionally the magnificent Sagrada Familia and two extra creations by Antoni Gaudi – the homes of La Pedrera (or Casa Mila) and Casa Batllo. Concert events are held on the rooftops of those homes each summer time, tickets for which may be bought on the official web sites lapedrera.com and www.casabatllo.es.
Inns: Majestic Lodge, Lodge Omm
- Barceloneta is a central space situated by the ocean. The seashore is shut at hand, there are at all times lots of people (particularly through the season). Discos, bars and eating places are open virtually across the clock. This space is ideal for many who like to hang around and spend time on the seashore.
Inns: W Barcelona, Arts
- Nicely, if you wish to really feel the environment of outdated Barcelona, verify into one of many accommodations within the El Born space. Along with designer retailers, artwork galleries, atmospheric bars and eating places, there may be additionally the Picasso Museum, the Santa Caterina Market – Barcelona’s second most vital market, the Palace of Catalan Music and the 15th century Gothic Cathedral of Santa Maria del Mar.
Inns: Catalonia Catedral, Olivia Plaza Lodge
Issues to do
The undoubted vacationer heart of town is Plaza Catalunya. Seven streets, two railway traces and three metro traces intersect right here. Within the north-eastern a part of the sq. is the well-known buying heart El Corte Inglés, the place the central vacationer workplace is situated on the bottom ground, and an commentary deck with a powerful panoramic view is provided on the roof. It’s from right here that the well-known Ramblas originates, the place avenue musicians carry out and reside statues present performances.
Fascinating excursions from locals in Barcelona
The Palace of Güell, constructed by Gaudí, is rightfully thought-about the pearl of the Rambla – I counsel you to not be lazy and discover time to go to it.
There may be additionally the well-known La Boqueria market, placing in its scale and vary of merchandise. There are small cafes available on the market, the place they’re very tasty (for instance, in a restaurant situated within the left nook of the market closest to the Rambla, they put together a completely superb mixture of mushrooms).
Not removed from the market is the Liceu Theater, the place operas and varied performances and live shows are carried out. Not so way back, for instance, there was an opera “The Demon” in Russian. On the whole, it’s value going to this theater, if just for the sake of the inside – it amazes with its ornament. And this is among the few locations the place Barcelona folks actually costume up.
The well-known avenue within the port ends, the place the Columbus monument is situated. When you attain the port, I extremely suggest taking a ship journey alongside the shoreline of Barcelona and seeing town from the water. In the summertime season, select a catamaran, the place you’ll be able to get pleasure from a glass of wine to the sound of a reside saxophone.
An equally well-known sq. in Barcelona is the Plaza de España. Here’s a former bullring, transformed into a shopping mall. A panoramic elevator results in the roof, the place the commentary deck is provided, and it prices 1 euro to rise up on it. Nevertheless, you will get upstairs through the use of the escalators inside the world – fully freed from cost. Along with a wonderful view, the roof will delight with good chain eating places, the place the kitchen is open with out interruption. There are additionally singing fountains, a Spanish village (the place totally different areas of Spain are represented by typical homes. Should you like hand-made, it is best to come right here for souvenirs. And naturally, for stunning pictures).
The place to go for breakfast / lunch / dinner
Barcelona has an enormous variety of cafes and eating places for each style and funds.
- For breakfast, select small cafes situated in inconspicuous alleys – that is the place the locals eat breakfast. However do not anticipate to be served porridge or eggs within the morning. The Spaniards have breakfast with a bocadilla (sandwich) or a croissant with espresso. And if sandwiches are scrumptious all over the place, then probably the most scrumptious croissants are within the Hofman pastry store (carrer dels Flassaders, 44). There’s a cafe throughout the home the place you’ll be able to order pastries from this pastry store with a cup of espresso or tea.
On the whole, a very powerful factor that it is best to know and bear in mind in regards to the eating places in Barcelona is that the kitchen just isn’t open all day, however opens for lunch and dinner (aside from very touristy locations). The Spaniards eat fairly late, with a typical lunch beginning at 14.00 and dinner at 21.00. Due to this fact, you’ll be able to eat from 13.00 to 16.00 and from 20.00 to 24.00. The remainder of the time, it’s possible you’ll be provided snacks and drinks, however not sizzling meals.
- For lunch or dinner, head to the Carballeira restaurant (la Reina Cristina, 3), which operates continuous and presents maybe the perfect black paella on the town. There may be additionally a big number of the freshest seafood and fish on the menu. Costs are barely above common. Different seafood eating places open all yr spherical with out interruption are the eating places on the waterfront Port Olimpic. They’re all about the identical, we desire the La Barca del Salamanca restaurant. However for scrumptious meat, it is best to go to the Assador de Aranda restaurant. It is a chain of eating places, one in every of which is situated subsequent to Plaça Catalunya, behind the El Corte Inglés buying heart. However if you wish to eat not solely scrumptious, but in addition in a really atmospheric place, go to the restaurant situated within the higher a part of town, on Avenida Tibidabo.
- The place the place you’ll be able to eat inexpensively would be the Wok restaurant chain. For 9-14 euros (drinks are paid individually), relying on the day of the week and time of day, you get to the buffet, the place, along with ready-made dishes (primarily Chinese language delicacies) and sushi, there’s a good number of fish and seafood, which the chef will cook dinner on the grill proper in entrance of you. A number of instances I even got here throughout oysters (normally they do not exist). One among these eating places can be situated behind El Corte Inglés, close to Plaza Catalunya.
- Adherents of a wholesome life-style ought to take note of the Flax & Kale restaurant. Many of the dishes on this place are vegetarian or vegan, however very tasty.
- Pizza lovers will admire the Nap Antic pizzeria, situated close to the outdated market Santa Caterina on rue avenida de Francesc Combó 30. In El Borne, additionally take a look at El Xampanyet bar on rue de Montcada, 22 – a really outdated, cheap, insanely atmospheric place serving selfmade cava (native champagne). However take into account that there may be lots of people within the night.
If you end up in Barcelona in early June, do not miss the road meals festivals Style at Rambla (throughout which you’ll strive mini variations of dishes from probably the most well-known eating places and eminent cooks) and Born Connoisseur.
What else to see
Should you prefer to discover town by yourself, make sure to take a look at the cactus backyard on Montjuïc. Situated subsequent to the Miramar Lodge, this park will delight not solely with a set of 250 cactuses and succulents, but in addition panoramic views of the port with cruise ships.
And for very subtle vacationers, a visit to Colonia Güell is appropriate – trains run right here from Plaza de España (the identical as for Montserrat). Few vacationers make it to this village, commissioned by Guell for the employees of the weaving manufacturing unit situated right here. A number of buildings within the fashion of Catalan modernism have survived within the city. And in addition right here is the Gaudi’s Crypt – it’s right here that the nice architect tried varied architectural options, equivalent to tilted columns, earlier than continuing with the development of his important creation – the Sagrada Familia temple. Will probably be particularly attention-grabbing to get to Colonia Güell in mid-October, when the modernism competition takes place right here and the entire metropolis attire in garments of the late 19th – early 20th centuries, and scenes from the lifetime of town of the start of the century are performed out on the streets.