Nursing reception activities
The goal of the reception activities was the comprehensive promotion of health. The services focused on prevention and support for self-employment. The purpose of the reception was also to wake customers up to take on awkward things. This is aided by, for example, various risk tests and mini-interventions such as AUDIT.
The nurse's office had:
- most 50-59 years old
- under 30 years old 8%
- women 57%, men 43%
- only 10% had been unemployed for less than 12 months
- 10% who have been unemployed for more than 10 years.
The most common reasons for visiting:
- Disease prevention (health assessment by health measurements) and related guidance and counseling
- sleep problems
- nutrition and weight management
- stress and depression (women)
- alcohol use (men)
About 1150 health measurements were taken at the nurse's office during the more than two years of kiosk operation, and about 20% of these were findings of high blood pressure, blood sugar, or total cholesterol. Clients were referred for further examinations to their own health center or for a follow-up visit to the kiosk. In addition, the kiosk customers had untreated, previously diagnosed diseases, such as diabetes or hypertension.
A sufficiently low threshold and a preventive approach may contribute to the early detection of public diseases such as hypertension and diabetes, as well as cardiovascular disease. The transaction threshold was lowered by free of charge and access to customers, as well as the opportunity to come without an appointment, assessment of service needs or determination of urgency. Reaching out to people at risk and at risk is important for prevention and effectiveness.
During the winter and spring of 2018, physical fitness measurements for the unemployed in Jyväskylä with the SuomiMies test package were carried out in the Pelate Fitness section of the Welfare Kiosk as a Strengthener of Work and Functional Ability project. The test package included four components: compressive force, body composition, waist circumference, and endurance fitness, which were summarized and resulted in a body fitness index.
The aim was to provide the unemployed with the opportunity to take part in free tests and get information about their own physical condition and the factors that affect their health.
129 unemployed people from Jyväskylä took part in the tests
- The biggest difference between the unemployed and the reference data was in body composition.
- 47% of those tested had a body fat percentage that exceeded the recommendations.
- The amount of visceral fat (around the internal organs) is high over 55, only 33% of the unemployed reached the target level.
- In endurance condition, less than half of those over 55 years of age reached the target level (35ml / kg / min).
- exercise activity is directly related to the body's fitness index.
- Two-thirds of unemployed men had an improvement in their exercise and nutrition habits.
The results show that the unemployed, both young people seeking employment and men at the end of their careers, have the greatest challenges in maintaining their own well-being and health